Saturday, August 27, 2011

Made in Indiana

I am a writer. A story teller. But as time has passed, as life has become hurried, as my career has changed, my writing has become very purposeful. Proposals, assessments, reports and recommendations. As a result, I find myself yearning to write for no purpose at all. To have no end goal in mind. To simply share my story and create lasting memories in the process. But as a writer, I find it necessary to establish the back story. And believing that life begins at conception, this southern girl's story starts in the Midwest.

I was made in Indiana. My parents, for some reason, have always been overly open about sharing this bit of intimate information about me, or technically, about them. In fact, I honestly have no idea where my sisters were made. It was most likely in the small Alabama town where we grew up. But that information has never been shared. And yet, where I was made has been told many times over the years, to various individuals and even to crowds, no matter the relevance or appropriateness. For some reason, my conception location has always mattered. And as my life's path has repeatedly led me to Indiana, I have come to realize why. I have an Alabama heart and an Indiana soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment